Welcome to Surrey DPAC
2020-21 DPAC Meetings
The DPAC AGM will be held on September 23, 2020, online via Zoom.
All general meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday monthly (except December and March), 7-9 pm. Registration/login begins at 6:45 pm.
To follow social distancing protocols, meetings will be conducted online until further notice. When in-person meetings resume, they will be held at the District Education Centre, 14033 92 Avenue, Room 2020.
- Sept. 23, 2020: AGM
- Oct. 28, 2020
- Nov. 25, 2020
- Jan. 27, 2021
- Feb. 24, 2021
- April 28, 2021
- May 26, 2021: AGM
A message from the Surrey DPAC Board of Directors:
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, Surrey DPAC has cancelled our in-person meetings for the remainder of the school year. We recommend that PACs do the same if they have not already done so.
The Surrey DPAC AGM will also be postponed until the fall. However, if we can arrange for a virtual DPAC general meeting, members will be advised.
You may have been wondering how to comply with your PAC bylaws during this time, with respect to your own AGMs and elections. Many bylaws do not allow for meetings to be held online, and are quite specific about the timing of the AGM. This is an unprecedented situation for everyone, and there have been a number of recent ministerial orders to address this during our current state of emergency. For instance, although PACs are not required to incorporate under the BC Societies Act, societies now have the option to host virtual or hybrid meetings even if the society’s bylaws state otherwise. Society AGMs may also be postponed until Dec. 31. (See Society AGMs COVID-19 Updates for details.)
Your PAC may have already decided on a plan of action for the remainder of the year. For PACs who are wondering how to proceed, here are some suggestions:
- If your PAC usually holds your AGM and elections in the spring, consider postponing these until the fall.
- Consider holding a virtual PAC meeting (executive and/or general meeting) if this makes sense for your school community. This can be done through various means, including Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Webex, etc. The District has indicated that they can provide some technical assistance for this if needed, or you can reach out to your school administration for help.
- Cancel any remaining events that may be on your PAC calendar this school year, and consider cancelling or postponing events scheduled for early in the fall.
- If your PAC has not already done so, connect with your parents regarding funds that have been collected for events, hot lunches, etc. regarding either carrying the amount forward to next year or how refunds will be dealt with.
We understand that all parents are facing unique situations within their households that are making it even more difficult to volunteer. This is why DPAC has decided to continue our day-to-day business as best as possible via online communication. We have put off anything else that is not a priority, in order to focus on providing guidance and advice to our parent community. Our communications with the Trustees and District staff continue, and we encourage you to email us with any questions you may have.
Register your PAC with BCCPAC
The BC Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils (BCCPAC) is the provincial voice of parents. Surrey DPAC strongly encourages all PACs to join BCCPAC, to ensure that Surrey schools are adequately represented at the provincial level. Annual membership is $75 per PAC, and registration must be completed by Dec. 31 in order to have voting privileges at the AGM in May.
Register your PAC with DPAC
Please remember to register your school with DPAC to vote on decisions at general meetings, give the DPAC direction on issues to advocate on your school’s behalf, and represent your parent voice.
Resources from recent General Meetings
- Understanding School District Budgets (Nov. 2019 presentation)
- Camp We Empower presentation
- Afterschool for All: Recreation Surrey presentation
- Recreation Surrey links:
- Kids Play Foundation presentation
- YMCA presentation:
- BCEdAccess Interim Report on Exclusion Tracker
- BCTF presentation, Advocating for your Child:
- Why Are Gifted Programs Needed?
- Surrey Schools Regulation 10310.1, School Volunteers
- Charitable donations presentation
- Results of social media survey
- Example Facebook Groups Guidelines
- Communications Guidelines for PACs (North Vancouver PAC document)
- BCCPAC information on C&Bs (including sample C&B)
- DPAC resources for PACs (including downloadable sample C&B)
- Bear Creek Elementary C&B
- BCCPAC Resources, including Leadership Manual