2016-17 DPAC General Meetings:
All general meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday monthly (except December and March) at the District Education Centre 14033 92nd Ave. Rm 2020, from 7:00 to 9:00pm, Registration at 6:45pm. Light Refreshments Available.
Please be reminded to register your school with DPAC to vote on GM decisions and give the DPAC direction on issues to advocate on your school’s behalf and represent your parent voice.
Wednesday September 26, 2016 – Parent Information/ Education Forum
A forum to encourage open discussion to help DPAC implement and follow-up on suggestions and recommendations from the Sept 2015 Forum, our priorities for meeting topics and planned DPAC activities for the 2016-17 school year. How can DPAC most effectively engage with Surrey parents? How would you like to provide input to the Surrey school district budget?
- Sept 28, 2016 GM Agenda
- May 2016 Meeting Minutes
- Sep 2016 Powerpoint Presentation
- Experiences Canada 150&Me shaping our future
- Handouts (K Thomson):
- SD 36 Policy 10305 – Schools Protection Program (SPP) Insurance Coverage – Parents’ Advisory Councils
- SPP Article: Contracts – Fairness is What Both Parties Should Expect
- SPP Article: Contracts – Indemnities in Disguise
- The Legal Edge: The Risks of Waiving Contract Insurance
- Examples of templates and agreements:
- Party Works – Surrey Schools Contract Template
- Chantrell Creek Event Agreement
- Reference Documents from Sep15 GM
- Sep16 GM Approved Minutes
Wednesday October 26, 2016 – PAC and Finance 101, Student Insurance
A general overview of how to run a school PAC from finances and budgeting to how to run an effective meeting. It is a great opportunity for PAC reps to network and share strategies as well as get some input about their specific PAC related questions and concerns.
- Oct 26 2016 GM Agenda
- Oct GM Presentation: PAC and Finance 101
- PAC 101 Manual
- 10303 Policy on PAC Fundraising
- PAC Accounting Best Practices
- PAC Financials Controls Checklist
- Societies Act Transition Guide (New Societies Act comes into effect on Nov 28, 2016)
- Kids Plus Accident Insurance 2016-17 Voluntary Plan
November 23, 2016 – Curriculum/ Reporting Options and Guidelines
Discussion about the New Curriculum & Assessment, Reporting Options and Guidelines in the District.
- Nov 23 2016 GM Agenda
- BC’s New Curriculum
- Parent feedback/ input on reporting sought by February 28, 2017.
- Antonio Vendramin’s presentation:
- Our CSL (Communicating Student Learning) site: https://www.surreyschools.ca/
- To help those reading the article, when “formative assessment practices” are mentioned, what the authors are referring to is:
- Learning Intentions (sharing with students what they will be or should be learning)
- Criteria (what does “good” look like?)
- Questioning (questions the teacher asks to uncover what the student does/does not know…as well as stretch student thinking)
- Descriptive Feedback (specific, timely feedback that students understand and can use to improve performance)
- Self and peer assessment (students use the criteria to judge their own work or the work of others)
- All of these combined promote student ownership of the learning and assessment process.
December 2016 – No General Meeting
January 25, 2017 – Mental Wellness and Resources
- Jan 25 2017 Agenda
- Agenda for Mental Wellness and Resources (Presented by Michelle Schmidt)
•School & District Roles & Processes
•Ministry of Education & Surrey Schools Inclusive Education Philosophy
•Role of the Case Manager
•Navigating the School District (Flow Chart)
•Connect® Parenting Program
•Research Articles and Resources
February 22, 2017- Drugs and Awareness – presentation from RCMP
March, 2017 – No General Meeting
April 26, 2017- BCCPAC Resolutions/ BC Election – Candidates Meeting (tba)
The Surrey District Parents’ Advisory Council will be inviting Surrey candidates (all potential MLAs) to participate on a panel to discuss issues surrounding education funding, safety & crime, and the impacts of lack of resources for our students.
Our district education funding is determined provincially and April is an opportunity for our potential MLA representatives to respond to parent concerns. We invite our parents to engage with our current and to-be elected officials in the upcoming May 9, 2017 election to hear from them: how they would address our challenges in Surrey and advocate for education funding on behalf of Surrey families and students.
May 25, 2017 P.I.E. Topic TBA (GM, AGM, DPAC BOD Election)
“Every parent is welcome. Please bring a friend.”
Parents helping parents learn more about our education system
Address: 14033 – 92 Avenue, Surrey, BC. V3V 0B7.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/surreydpac